Max Verstappen: Red Bull driver renews F1 quit threat as he says current regulations are ‘not mentally doable’ at Canadian GP | F1 News


Max Verstappen has renewed his threat to quit Formula 1 if the sport’s regulations do not change in 2027.

Verstappen revealed at the end of March he was considering walking away from F1 at the end of this season due to frustrations about the new 2026 power unit rules which forced the drivers to drive in an unnatural way to optimise lap time.

The FIA said last week an agreement had been reached in principle with the teams for 2027 that would see the power unit split move from its current near 50-50 between internal combustion and electrical energy to 60-40, thus reducing the amount of energy management.

Verstappen had said on Thursday ahead of this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix that the proposal boosted his chances of staying in F1 next year as it’s what the sport “needs”.

However, he cast doubt on his future again on Saturday after qualifying sixth for Sunday’s race in Montreal.

“If it stays like this, it’s going to be a long year next year that I don’t want,” said Verstappen, who has a contract with Red Bull until the end of 2028.

“It’s just mentally not doable for me to stay like this. It’s really not.”

Asked if he would take a sabbatical in 2027 then return in 2028 if changes were made for two years’ time, Verstappen responded “No. There’s a lot of other fun things out there.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Highlights of the Sprint from the 2026 Canadian Grand Prix.

The FIA have already tweaked this year’s regulations since the fourth round in Miami earlier this month which was received positively by the drivers.

But, while changes for 2027 have been agreed, the exact details of the changes have not with discussions continuing among F1’s engine manufacturers – Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull-Ford, Audi and Honda.

This could lead to any changes being pushed back by a year or the tweaks not being enough to convince Verstappen to stay.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff was seen chatting with Jos Verstappen in the paddock as speculation continues over son Max’s future at Red Bull

He said on Thursday: “I just want a good product in Formula 1, and that [the proposed changes] will for sure improve the product.

“What I said before with the changes, hopefully that will happen next year, that will already help a lot. I’ve always said it doesn’t matter if I had a good car or not, it’s just a product, and I think the product will improve like that, so naturally I think then the enjoyment will go up as well.”

Mekies: Verstappen cares about the sport

Verstappen has been sceptical about F1’s 2026 regulations as early as 2023 and his criticism of the rules earlier in the season was largely backed by other drivers on the grid.

The 28-year-old raced at the Nurburgring 24 Hours last weekend and has made six other trips to the Nordschleife in Germany over the last 12 months as he ramps up his exploits outside of F1.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Watch some of the best battles and overtakes from Max Verstappen as he made his debut in the Nurburgring 24-Hour race

Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies says it’s “important for the sport” to make changes for next year and to listen to the drivers.”

“Max cares about the sport, and the reason why he’s so vocal is because he genuinely cares about Formula 1 being the pinnacle of motorsport,” he said.

“He wants to see, I’m sure as most of you, flat-out qualifying. He wants to see the fastest drivers being able to push as hard as they want in the corners without losing any lap time due to that. And he has been listened to.

“There has been a fantastic openness from the stakeholders, from the FIA, from F1, from all the teams to say, ‘Yeah, we need to do something about it’.”

Sky Sports F1’s Canadian GP schedule

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

A look back at the wildest moments caught on the onboard camera at the Canadian Grand Prix

Sunday May 24
3.40pm: F1 Academy Race 3
5pm: F2 Feature Race
7.30pm: Canadian GP build-up: Grand Prix Sunday*
9pm: THE CANADIAN GRAND PRIX*
11am: Canadian GP reaction: Chequered Flag*
12am: Ted’s Notebook*

*Also on Sky Sports Main Event

Formula 1 is in Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix and another Sprint weekend. Watch live on Sky Sports F1, with Sunday’s race at 9pm. Stream Sky Sports with NOW – no contract, cancel anytime

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *